Camping - The Newark YMCA’s Camp Linwood MacDonald is a 200-acre camp next to Stokes State Forest in Sussex County. Children can hike through miles of wooded trails, try out our zip line or experience the excitement of horseback riding. Team building activities abound: our low-ropes course and climbing wall add to the fun. Camp Linwood has a 10-acre lake for swimming, kayaking, and other water sports. And Camp Linwood MacDonald recently added Rooke Lodge, a 9,500 square foot, 48-person cabin for the comfort of overnight campers. The Camp’s forest, ponds and streams provide a perfect setting for environmental education and are aligned with New Jersey State Curriculum Content Standards. Topics include:
• Fish Ecology: Students will learn about the anatomy and physiology of fish, as well as their ecological importance. They will catch and handling fish, weigh and measure them, create a fish print, and listen to a Native American Story.
• Forest Ecology: Students role-play tree anatomy, look for signs of wildlife in the forest, discover forest values by making metaphors, and compete in the energy flow relay to understand how forest plants and animals
interact. A focus on the Northern Red Oak, New Jersey’s state tree, is included.
• Water Ecology: Students will use dip-nets to search for invertebrates in the pond, then sort the invertebrates according to distinguishing physical features, or adaptations. Older students will then identify their organisms and evaluate the health of the water ecosystem according to what is found.
• Wildlife Ecology: Through animal tracking and two stimulation games, students will become familiar with local wildlife and their relationship with humans. A range of activities help students learn about nature while having fun. These include:
• Habitat Hunt: Students explore natural habitats throughout camp.
• Pond and Stream Study: Students get down and dirty with our nets exploring one of our three ponds.
• Orienteering: Students learn basic orienteering skills, then follow a set course throughout our camp. A great camping and life skill to learn.